Thursday, November 25, 2010

Thanksgiving In a Foreign Land

Thanksgiving: aw, the memories; turkey and dressing with all the fixens, green bean casserole, salads, fresh baked rolls, pumpkin pie. More food than the body can stand or needs. Family getting together to just enjoy one another’s company. Thankful for so many blessings, past and present. Thanksgiving, aw the memories.

But here I am 10,000 miles from home, away from family, friends, familiar surroundings. For here in Pujehun, Sierra Leone it is just another day. Another day of work in this remote part of the country. No parades to watch on t.v., no football games; for there is not even any electricity nor tv’s to watch if there was.

For my “Thanksgiving” feast I had a piece of Spam on a day old bread roll. And as I ate my feast for the day, I reflected on Thanksgiving.

The Giving of Thanks! To our God, our Creator!

Am I thankful?

How could I not be thankful for another day of life , doing what I love. Touching lives with the saving message of Jesus Christ. Oh, I miss family and good food, for sure. But at the same I would not want to miss this experience of working with my Brethren here in this part of Africa.

I am thankful, for each new day, for each new experience, for each life that I am able to touch in some small way. God is good.

Thanks be unto God the Father. Pslams 107:1

No comments:

Post a Comment